Bah, I think my CPU died. :(

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by Sketchy, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Sketchy

Sketchy CmG Co-Founder Senior Admin

So I woke up today and noticed that my mouse and keyboard were not illuminated which seemed weird. Tower was still powered up and lit up, fans were spinning, water pump was still pumping. Moved my mouse to wake up my monitors and got no response. Looked at my motherboard and noticed its POST LCD was showing Code 00, and the last time I saw that was when my CPU wasn't seated properly so it wasn't being detected. Rebooted my PC and still code 00.

• Anywhooo, ended up disassembling my pc, removed all components from my MOBO and removed the mobo itself from my tower. Plugged in a different PSU into the wall and plugged in the 24 pin mobo and 8 pin cpu connectors, and still code 00.
    • Reseated the CPU a few times but always code 00.
    • Removed all but 1 stick of ram but still code 00.
    • Tried each of my 4 sticks individually but still got nothing.
    • It just so happens I have a spare (identical) x99 motherboard so tried same steps on that motherboard and still got nothing.
    Bah. Just opened up a support RMA on the Intel site. CPU is warrantied so hopefully I can do an exchange.

I was fighting with my overclock a few weeks ago, so I had actually defaulted most BIOS settings like 2 weeks ago so my CPU was not even overclocked for the past 2 weeks or so, and even my 3200hz ram was only being run at 2166hz.

Can't stand being without a PC so luckily I still had my old i7 920 setup with its MOBO/RAM. Had a Radeon 6950 lying around and a spare PSU and an old 160GB Intel SSD and a Razer soundcard so I threw it all together so at least I would haev a working PC until I get this all sorted.

You guys think there's anything I forgot to try? Any reason to think the issue might be anything other than a dead CPU ? Sadly I've read that Asus' x99 motherboards seem to of killed a lot of CPU's, my motherboard included. I've been fighting with this f'n mobo since I got it so even though I believe the motherboard isn't dead I do believe it's whats caused the issue. It doesn't seem to get along with my RAM either so overclocking has been a real fight compared to on my i7-920 which always took everything I threw at it like a champ no matter what the f I tried.

2. Knight

Knight Master Shanker Senior Admin

TBH, I'd consider selling the Asus board and grabbing something else if it's really been a problem for you. Speaking of that, why do you have an identical board? :p

Unfortunately, if you tested it on another X99 board (even if it's identical) and still getting the same code, the CPU is most likely toast. Surprising considering I've only seen sporadic cases of CPUs actually dying over the past couple years that someone did not do deliberately.

edit: for shits and giggles, did you try plugging in a regular old fan to the cpu_fan header?

3. NegativeTen

NegativeTen J-girl's bright Senior Admin

Was actually going to suggest this as well. Could maybe whatever fan you have plugged into the CPU fan header isn't signaling the motherboard that there's a load, and so it refuses to boot. Could be the header on the board, or the fan's header. You might be able to disable that feature in the BIOS. Worth a shot, but does sound like a dead CPU.

4. Sketchy

The motherboard has a dedicated header for water pump so in the past I had already booted the PC with nothing at all plugged in the CPU Fan header and I got a warning msg at startup that I could disabled in the bios, but it wasn't the sort of thing that prevented the PC from posting. I eventually moved my fan controller to that header anyways so that I could both use fan profiles from the bios or adjust fan speeds with the fan controller. I know on multiple occasions i've trouble shot the LCD error codes with nothing plugged into any fan headers at all. The only time previous to this that I'e ever seen the board do a 00 error code was when I had just messed with the CPU and it wasn't seated properly so it wasn't being detected.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  5. Sketchy

Bent pins on cpu slot. Long story short I was on vacation and didn't want to waste my vacation time waiting for an RMA so I ordered a replacement that arrived like 2 days later. The bent pins didn't actually prevent the system from working as it worked fine, I just didn't want to pay for a board with bent pins. Intention was to get a refund after my vacation and just never got around to it. These boards actually have "extra pins" which are supposed to help with overclocking but it's prolly just marketing talk. Because this board has at times been a pain with my ram and OC efforts, I've tried both boards so either board ram my CPU for a few months. The board that doesn't have the bent pins is the one that seems to of killed my cpu.

Never had a problem with Asus mobo's and while this mobo wasn't necessarily cheap (nothing for the x99 platform is...) it's still a low end board when I generally buy high end boards. You should read the reviews for this board on Newegg. Toooons of people have had either their board die or have their board kill their cpu and sometimes both died!

6. Sketchy

So, all's well that ends well, I guess...? But here's an interesting story of the shitty tech week I had.

So as I already posted, my CPU from my new PC died. So I contacted Intel about it over the weekend but they don't do tech support on the weekend so I had to wait till Monday. The PC that I wrote the OP for this thread with, DIED ON ME 3 or 4 days later (Tuesday). Tuesday night I spoke with Intel and gave em my credit card info and they cross shipped me a new CPU. The new CPU arrived Wednesday.

Wednesday I take the new CPU and throw it in one of my mobo's and power it up using the PSU from the second dead PC so that I wouldn't have to fuck with the nice cable routing I had done. With the new CPU in the motherboard I power it up, mobo lights up, fans spin, and STILL I get the fuckin 00 error code... I'm like what in the fuck is going on here!? 2 cpu's tested in 2 motherboards using 1 ram stick at a time and no way can I get the thing to post or give me an error code. I tested shit all f'n day on both my current PC as well as the older PC that died a few days after using it and couldn't get either of them to POST.

So, to make a long story short, it was the POWER SUPPLY that died in the SECOND PC, and it was only giving out enough power to spin fans and light up the mobo etc but not enough to power a CPU... After exhausting all my options I yanked my new power supply out of my new tower and plugged that into my mobo and immediately I made it through post to the point where my error code was bitching about not having a display to output, which was fine because it wasn't hooked up to a video card. Tested the older PC with the newer power supply and that one also immediately posted. If I had been able to test the new CPU with the older power supply ONE DAY EARLIER everything would have worked.

I was basically getting ready to drop my shit off at a computer repair store in desperation so that they could tell me for sure whether the problem was MOBO or RAM... Called two of them and first guy had no DDR4 at the time to use to test, and second guy said he wouldn't be able to get to it till at least tomorrow... That was what made me decide to yank the good PSU out of my tower... Lol had I brought my CPU/MOBO/RAM to a shop they woulda plugged it in and it woulda posted fine and they woulda told me I'm an idiot!

Oh ya, and after the second PC died on me, I tested the CPU/MOBO/RAM on my THIRD and OLDEST PC and that wouldn't post either! So first PC = dead CPU, second PC = dead PSU, third PC = dead Mobo!

SMH... Anyways, back up and running now. Still need a new PSU if I want the 2'nd PC to be a working PC but it's not exactly a priority. 3'rd PC is a 10 year old E8500 Dual Core that isn't worth my time so I'm gonna toss it out.

CRANTLY and Psycoder like this.
  7. Psycoder

Psycoder CmG Acquaintance Member

Holy cow what a fun time you had! It is nice that you were finally able to get it all situated in the end. I bet next time, the PSU will be one of the first options to check!

8. nederweit

nederweit CmG Companion Member

Basically got a whole dead PC on you :playful:

Man, the scene of your workspace where all the parts are getting swapped in and out must've been quite a sight

9. Sketchy

lol ya well to be fair, when my first PC died BOTH PSU's were working. It was a few days later that the backup PSU I was using to test stuff actually died so that's why I never suspected it at first... Also, it's not easy to test a PSU if you only have one. I have an actual PSU "tester" that came with my newer PSU and it hooks up to the 24 pin, but the only thing it really does is make the PSU's fan spin so it's not much of a tester... :/

Psycoder likes this.
  10. Sketchy

Lol yes indeedy... It's a spare bedroom with parts all over the place that I only half cleaned up so far... ugh! Guess I should clean it up...

11. Psycoder

Psycoder CmG Acquaintance Member

Haha, that is great - hey look, the fan is spinning, we are good!

12. Arrow

Arrow Amateur Poster

Woah, Murphys law in action I guess. Hopefully this means you've got a few months of problem free computing before the next problem. I had a problem PSU for a while that caused me more pain than I'd have liked before I found out that it was responsible for what I thought was a bad motherboard. I wasn't putting it under crazy load and when I did stress test it I could have no issues, but then it'd buckle at odd times.

13. Sketchy

Ya hopefully I'm good for a long while lol. I'd never ever had a CPU die on me before so I was hesitant to convince myself that was the issue. I've had a number of Mobo's and PSU's die on me in the past ~20 years though. At one point I called a PC repair place and they told me they had seen one dead CPU in 16 years of working on PC's so they tried hard to convince me the problem was Mobo or PSU or Ram but I had tested more than 1 of each of those and that only left the CPU, which did end up being the problem. On the plus side, Intel's customer support was amazing, aside from not being open on the weekends. They shipped my replacement CPU via overnight FedEx and I had it 12 hours later!